Top 10 Misconceptions about Dog Health and Care
1. With a small wound on the body of the dog, you don’t have to do anything – it will lick itself.
In fact, the dog’s mouth is a breeding ground for microbes, and if it licks the wound itself, it will increase the danger of suppuration and at least twice delay healing. In such cases, the wound should be treated, and a protective collar should be put on the dog to prevent licking.
2. The dosage of anthelmintic drugs depends on the age of the dog.
In fact, it depends only on weight.
3. The smell from the dog’s mouth is normal because it does not brush its teeth.
First, it is possible and even necessary to brush the dog’s teeth – for this, special brushes are sold. Secondly, the smell may indicate various diseases (caries, tartar, sometimes gastritis). If the smell from the mouth is combined with other deviations in health, even small ones, it is better to contact a veterinarian.
4. It is necessary to bathe the dog as often as possible to eliminate the smell of dog.
It is harmful to the skin, which is easily defatted, and also leads to a dog becoming too cold during the cold season. It is recommended to bathe dogs only in summer (at other times of the year you can wash your paws, stomach, but not the entire surface of the body).
5. Dogs should be bathed in the same temperature that is comfortable for a person, i.e. warm water. And dry hair dryer on the warmest mode.
In fact, you can only bathe a dog in slightly warm or cool water. Best of all is to make water at room temperature. Drying can only warm, not a hot dryer.
6. The dog cage is a prison and inhuman to keep it there.
In fact, if, of course, the pet is not abused and cared for correctly, it is perceived by the dog not as a place of imprisonment, but as a “house in the house” – a den, a place for games and recreation, giving a feeling of peace and security . Especially good are the cages on the road and somewhere in the new place where the dog in the cage will be able to calm down with your favorite toys, surrounded by familiar smells (for this purpose you need to keep a soft comfortable bedding in the cage). Also, the cage should be spacious enough so that the dog can stand in it and turn around to get comfortable.
7. A dog is a clever animal, and it knows how much food to eat. More than she can, she will not eat.
This approach can lead to obesity in dogs. Calculate the required daily ration, based on the size of your pet and its activity, feed in fixed time portions and do not overfeed. Even delicacies should be given on the basis of the daily share of calories for a dog (not exceeding it).
8. The dog is omnivorous, it will eat everything – and there will be no harm to health.
Many foods can generally cause serious poisoning (for example, chocolate or grapes), others can lead to obesity, allergic reactions, and excessive stress on the liver, heart, etc. Feeding a dog must be balanced and consist of healthy, healthy foods. No remnants of the general table, as well as all the fat, sweet, salty, smoked speech is not!
9. During the walk, the dog will figure it out itself, pinching grass, which plants are poisonous – and will not eat them.
In fact, the dog is unable to discern many poisonous plants either by smell or intuitively. There is a long list of poisonous plants from which to protect your dog – you should ask him to the vet or look in the directory or on the Internet – and be vigilant while walking with your pet.
10. A dog can do without mineral supplements and fertilizing – because it gets everything from the food consumed.
Minerals are vital for both puppies and adult dogs.
However, it is necessary to know and remember that for each rock the amount of mineral dressing should be different. It is best to seek advice from a veterinarian at any dog breeding club. Do not overdo it with supplements – an overdose of mineral supplement for a puppy can lead to brittleness of the skeleton (although in an adult dog, excess mineral supplements are simply washed out of the body).